Part 1 : Feeling Drained? Spring Clean Your Body
1. Clean out the Winter debris
It’s natural to overindulge a bit more in Winter so now’s the time to get out your broom and sweep off the internal muck which has built up.
- Do a week long cleanse. I like the raw food week run by our local raw cafe Glow during which we only eat raw foods, juices and take gentle supplements to support cleansing. We’re all different so find a program which appeals to you and fits in with your lifestyle.
- Focus on gentle daily cleansing tools you can do at home like drinking lemon water, oil pulling, scraping your tongue in the morning and dry brushing your skin.
- Give your body a break from congesting, hard to process foods like alcohol, sugar and dairy. Go Frenemy Free for a month.
2. Nourish and Fertilize
Look around your local area to see what’s growing now and eat it. Nature knows exactly what we need at this time of year so keep it simple and eat what’s in season locally. Look for organic, sustainably grown whenever possible.
- Go Green. Salads, vegetables and green juices all help to clean and nourish your body in the Spring. You’ll find some yummy recipes at the bottom of this article.
- Try a morning smoothie. If you haven’t done this yet, it could be time to give it a whirl. A well made morning smoothie is easy, tasty and highly nutritious. Scroll down for my favourite recipe.
- Drink pure water. Make sure you drink at least 8 tall glasses of good quality water every day. A small pinch of sea salt salt will make it extra thirst quenching and deliver gentle support for your adrenal glands – our primary stress regulators.
3. Fresh Air and Sunshine
Get outside and move around. Unless you live near a nuclear power plant, outside air is always better than inside air. And, it’s not just your plants which metabolize sunshine, we need it too. A daily dose of sunshine = stronger bones, better moods, lower blood pressure, sleep and hormone regulation (take note peri and menopausal women) and increased immunity, just to name a few of the health benefits.
- Every morning take your cuppa tea outside and stand in the early sunshine for 5 minutes. Have as much bare skin showing as possible. No sunglasses.
- Grow some Roots. Stand barefoot on the ground – grass or actual dirt is ideal and mentally put roots down from the bottom of your feet into the Earth. There is an acupuncture point underneath your foot called “Bubbling Spring” which literally pulls up Earth energy into your body the same way plants draw it up through their roots. If you tune in, you’ll actually be able to feel it.
- Get some exercise. Get out there and run, jump and play outside. Your body will start to come alive with growth and energy. Try a new sport like biking, kayaking or running. Or just play freeform with your kids. Remember, your body LOVES novelty so the more different positions you can be in every day, the better.
Go Green Juice Recipe
- 1 cucumber
- 1 celery stick
- a big handful of kale
- ¼ lemon, including rind
- ¼ inch piece of ginger
- ½ apple or pear
- other things you can try include spinach, chard, parsley, carrots, beets
Sonia’s Morning Smoothie
- 1 banana
- ½ cup of frozen berries
- handful of greens
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 date
- 1 cup of home made or store bought almond milk + a few raw soaked almonds
- Jarrah bee pollen
- other things you can try are maca powder, chia seeds, avocado, cacao nibs
A well cared for and prepared body is fertile ground for the new growth of your soul. Take the time to Spring clean yourself, you’re worth it. And most of all, have fun playing outside in the warmth and sunshine.
See you next week when you’ll learn how to clean out the cobwebs in your mind.