Part 3: How to Spring Clean your Soul
You can think of your soul as the vital essence that keeps you alive and thriving – that sparkle in your eyes and spring in your step. It’s who you were as a kid when the world was still a magical place and all you wanted to do was play. It’s the real you, behind the ego you’ve built to help you deal with life.
So how’s your sparkle, is it feeling a little lackluster these days? Some people lose it for a few months others for their whole life, how long since you felt yours? I remember losing mine for several years. My body fell apart, my mind was depressed and anxious and I lost the direction for my life. When I hit rock bottom by literally falling to the floor I knew it was time to make some real changes. You’ve learned some of the body and mind tools I used, but it’s the soul nurturing I did that created the really big shifts.
I love playing in the realm of the soul….let’s play right now for Finding direction in life.
If the language of your body is emotion and the language of your mind is thoughts, your soul communicates in metaphor – music, art, ritual, play.
If you want to know the state of your soul ask it a metaphoric question like this “If my life was the weather right now, what would it be?” You’ll get an instant answer, either visually or verbally. Listen to it. Your soul knows the truth about what’s going on.
- Other questions you could ask are “what song is my life? what colour? what animal? You get the idea. You can ask it in regards to a specific issue or your life in general.
- Once you have an answer, take a look at what it represents. For example, if you saw a desert landscape, what has dried up in your life? If there was a thunderstorm, is there a corresponding storm going on in some area of your life?
- Try to get to 1 or 2 root issues for example the above metaphors could represent “ my creativity is all dried up” and “ I’m overreacting to situations.” You will know exactly what things mean. Trust yourself.
Remember that the soul’s language is metaphor so you will use ceremony and ritual to make changes at this level. Here’s how:
- Find a stick and some colored yarn.
- With strong intention, wind a colour around ⅓ of your stick for each issue, feeling it unwind out of your body and onto the stick as you do so. You are making a traditional death arrow or talisman.
- Go outside and make a small fire. You can use a wok or a BBQ if that’s what you have.
- In a ceremonial manner (don’t over think it, your soul knows exactly what to do), place your death arrow in the fire and the draw the smoke into your belly, heart and forehead, feeling grateful that the fire is now energetically combusting your issue.
Now comes the really fun part. What do you want for your life? Again we use metaphor so this time let’s use art.
- Take a large piece of paper and some coloured crayons or pencils
- Start drawing what you want. Stay out of your analytical brain and just allow your hand to move by itself. It will. Just let go and trust.
- Make your creation so deliciously enticing that given the choice, you wouldn’t want to go back to the old way. Go all out.
- Once you’re done, embody it by singing it, dancing it, feeling it inside yourself. Make it real until you feel the emotions of what it will be like.
- In the next few days watch the magic begin to happen in your life as subtle shifts and opportunities to step into your new way start to pop up all around you. Take them. You have created them yourself.
- Have fun. Play. Laugh. Live. Create. Be that kid again.
Working at the soul level is like walking way upstream and adjusting a small rock in the current. It changes the entire course of your life in an effortless, profound way. I hope you have heaps of fun with it.
This is just the tip of the iceberg of what you can achieve for yourself. You can dive deeper into Soul care in my online class Feel Awesome Again. Grab your copy here and get yourself back on track and feeling the spark again. As always, feel free to drop me a line with any questions you might have or to sign up for a free consultation.
Here’s to your spark!